Charleston County announces shelter and transportation plans ahead of potential impacts from Hurricane Michael.
Shelter and Citizens Information Line:
- A Charleston County shelter facility at 3765 Leeds Avenue will be open at noon today. The facility will be open to both pets and residents. Please bring the following items if you relocate to the shelter:
- Your child’s stuffed animal
- Emergency kit
- Pet food and any medications
Modified Transportation Plan:
- Service will begin today at noon – 7:00 p.m. tonight. It will operate tomorrow from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ONLY IF weather and wind conditions allow it
- Citizens needing transport to the shelter should go to the nearest CARTA bus stop. If they are in an unincorporated area with no CARTA stops, go to the nearest Blue Hurricane pick up sign.
- Once at the stop, citizens should call 843-202-7904 to request pick up. If they have no phone and are at a CARTA stop, tell the next CARTA bus driver that stops at the stop that they need to go to the shelter. The bus driver will then radio CARTA, who will let Transportation know to send a bus.
- When calling 843-202-7904, citizens needing a ride should tell them the number from the CARTA/hurricane sign or the location of the stop to help ensure a prompt pickup.
- A CARTA Tel-A-Ride bus will then transport citizens to the shelter at 3765 Leeds Avenue in North Charleston.
The Charleston County Citizen’s Information line will be active from noon – 8:00 p.m.
Citizen’s Information Line:
- (843) 746 – 3900
- Spanish (843) 746 - 3909
- TTY (843) 746 – 3911