CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — It seems the fight over the new cruise terminal has new life. The South Carolina Court of Appeals will hear the case next month.
Those fighting the terminal say the Administrative Law Court made several errors when hearing the case, including that it "abused its discretion in issuing sanctions" against them.
The decision to hear the case comes almost three years after the Preservation Society of Charleston, the Historic Charleston Foundation, the South Carolina Coastal Conservation League, and others filed for the appeal.
The court's website says the case will be heard on Feb. 15 in Columbia.
In the last couple years, the case has been added to the court's docket only to be removed again.
The ongoing debate over the $35 million passenger cruise terminal is going on its sixth year. Since the state Ports Authority presented the plan, many downtown Charleston residents have remained concerned about what the new terminal would mean for the already busy streets on the peninsula.
In the many hearings over the year, a common view among downtown residents is that while the cruises are good for business, the best place for a new terminal is somewhere other than the edge of the historic district.
Opponents have voiced concerns on air quality, traffic congestion, and obstructed views.
Last year, city councilman Mike Seekings said any new terminal needed shore power so the massive cruise ships are not burning fuel and discharging smoke.
Seekings and others say having a set and enforceable limit on the number of cruises is a must.