Charles County Council votes wait taking legal action re: 526 ext.

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Charleston County Council voted Thursday night to hold off on taking legal action against the State Infrastructure Board for pulling out of the I-526 extension project.

"The motion was made and carried... to comply with the governor's request to forego any actions by Charleston County until the governor has had an opportunity to try to help us resolve this matter," Charleston County Council Chairman A. Victor Rawl said.

The Council's decision comes after Gov. Henry McMaster sent a letter to Charleston County Council on July 13 asking them to wait on entering litigation with SIB.

"In order that we might remain focused on our joint efforts and avoid the delay and expense of unnecessary litigation, I ask that Charleston County temporarily refrain from filing any legal action as a demonstration of good faith," McMaster wrote in his letter.

The dispute over the completion of I-526 heightened last month when SIB made the decision to pull out of funding the project.

Rawl says that decision and the action the governor is taking now are both steps in the right direction.

"We at least have the ability to determine whether or not there is another entity that can decide the dispute, whether it's the governor's office or the courts," Rawl said.

Rawl said he's hoping SIB will agree to get back into the agreement.

He thinks completing the 526 project is something that's critical for people all over the Lowcountry.

For that reason, he would like to see McMaster succeed with this negotiation.

"And hopefully he'll be able to accomplish what he says," Rawl said. "I'm cheering for him."

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved. 

title

Content Goes Here