Check here for closings across the Charleston area
ByPatrick Phillips | September 1, 2019 at 8:26 PM EDT - Updated September 4 at 4:35 PM
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster issued an executive order Sunday calling for the closure of schools and state government offices across eight coastal South Carolina counties.
In addition to those closures, we are updating other school and business closures as we confirm them.
However, as of Sunday night, Charleston International Airport spokesman Spencer Pryor said the airport is open and travelers should check in with their individual airlines for flight information.
- Beaufort County Schools - Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- Berkeley County Schools - Closed Tuesday until further notice. Essential personnel including maintenance and facilities, technology, school administrators, Superintendent’s cabinet and their designated support staff, school custodians and cafeteria managers are asked to report to work Monday morning at their regular time to prepare schools for the impending weather and will be released by 11 a.m.
- Charleston Cosmetology Institute - Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- Charleston County Schools - Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- Charleston School of Law - The Charleston School of Law is closed for the rest of the week due to the approach of Hurricane Dorian and evacuation of the state’s coastal counties. “Classes will resume, as scheduled, on Monday, September 9,” Dean Andy Abrams wrote students. "Plans for making up the missed classes will be provided at a later date. However, the scheduled fall break will not be used for make up classes. "
- Charleston Southern University - Classes, athletic events, campus activities and campus visits at Charleston Southern University are canceled beginning Monday and until further notice. Students without an evacuation plan should talk to their Resident Assistant now or go to the housing office in Russell West 126 at 8 a.m. Monday.
- Charles Webb Center daycare- Closed through Friday
- The Citadel - The Citadel is preparing to evacuation and close campus on Monday. All campus activities with the exception of hurricane preparation, are canceled until further notice. The Citadel Corps of Cadets will be released after their last duty Monday, which will be no later than noon. Once these duties are complete, every member of the Corps of Cadets will depart the campus in an orderly fashion, in accordance with the Citadel’s hurricane evacuation plans. Faculty & staff members who are non-essential for securing the campus and taking campus closure or emergency actions should not report to work Monday. Online classes will continue as scheduled, unless faculty notify students otherwise.
- College of Charleston - CofC is canceling all classes and college events starting Monday. Sporting events, campus activities and campus visits are also canceled. This cancellation affects all classes, labs, meetings and other activities scheduled at the downtown campus (including Harbor Walk and Avery Research Center), North Campus, Patriot’s Point, Grice Marine Lab, Stono Preserve and the Lowcountry Graduate Center, including those courses taught in the English Language Institute and the Charleston Bridge Program.
- Colleton County Schools - Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- Discovery School in N. Charleston will be closed starting Tuesday, September 3rd until the evacuation order has been lifted.
- Dorchester School District 2 - Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- Dorchester School District 4 - Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- First Baptist School of Charleston will be closed Tuesday until further notice.
- Georgetown County Schools - Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- Horry County Schools - Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- International Diving Institute - Due to the inclement weather and current State of Emergency issued by Governor McMaster all classes will be canceled for the week of September 2, 2019. The administrative office will be closed tomorrow September 3, 2019. All classes for students will be cancelled for this week
- James Island Early Childhood Christian Academy- Closed Tuesday and Wednesday
- Jasper County Schools - Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- LaTrice D. Ferguson School of Nursing Assistants in Walterboro - Will be closed Thursday.
- Limestone College - Evening program site closed Tuesday. Information regarding other potential Limestone closings at other sites will be announced as soon as there is more information.
- MUSC - MUSC classes are canceled and the University is closed until further notice. MUSC Health hospitals remain under normal operations at this time. MUSC Health clinics and ambulatory ORs will make a determination about clinic operations and hours with Governor’s evacuation orders in mind Monday morning. Public announcements will be made Monday morning about clinic and pharmacy hours for the days ahead.
- Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College - Classes will dismiss at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday. No afternoon or evening classes will be held. OCtech will also be closed Thursday. We will be open during our normal hours from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday Sept. 6.
- South Carolina State University - Canceled all classes for Tuesday through Friday.
- Southeastern Institute North Charleston - Closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Stepping Stones Academy - Will close Tuesday and until further notice.
- Top of The Line Barber College has canceled class on Tuesday until further notice.
- Trident Academy of Mount Pleasant - Will be closed Tuesday and until further notice.
- Trident Technical College - Campuses and sites will be closed Monday until further notice. Only personnel required to secure college facilities should report to work on Monday. Because lanes on I-26 will be reversed starting at noon on Monday, campuses and sites will close at noon and no employees will be permitted to enter any building after that time.
- USC Salkehatchie Walterboro and Allendale - Campuses will be closed Tuesday
- WC Christian Academy in Summerville - Will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Williamsburg County School District - Schools will close early on Wednesday. Primary schools will close at 11 a.m., elementary schools will close at 11:30 a.m., middle schools will close at noon and high schools will close at 12:30 p.m. Staff will leave at 2 p.m. Schools will be closed on Thursday and will operate on a 2-hour delay Friday.
- Williamsburg Technical College - All classes and activities canceled beginning at 2 p.m. Wednesday. The college will remained closed through Friday. They anticipate resuming normal business hours on Monday.
- Aging Gracefully Senior Care Services - Will be closed Tuesday through Thursday.
- Boeing South Carolina has suspended operations. “We will fly a few of our 787s to other locations until it is safe for our South Carolina teammates to return to work,” Boeing officials said.
- Carnival Ecstacy - Please sign up for text alerts by texting CCL12 to CRUISE (278473). There is a possibility Carnival Ecstasy will not be able to return to Jacksonville on Thursday. If the port is closed, the ship will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port.
- Carnival Elation (from Port Canaveral) - Will now operate as a 2-day sailing departing Thursday and returning Saturday. Port of call: To be determined. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased beverage and Wi-Fi packages. Guests who wish to cancel will receive a 100% future cruise credit.
- Carnival Horizon (from Miami) - PortMiami is closed and expected to reopen no earlier than Wednesday. We now plan to operate a 3-day cruise, departing on Wednesday and returning Saturday 9/07. We will visit Nassau on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Guests who sail will receive a 50% prorated refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased beverage and Wi-Fi packages, and a full refund of any pre-purchased shore excursions. Additionally, you will receive a 50% future cruise credit. Given the shortened duration, you may cancel and receive a 100% future cruise credit. Please contact 1-800-CARNIVAL for information.
- Carnival Liberty (from Port Canaveral) – This cruise is cancelled. Guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased items.
- Carnival Sunshine - The Carnival Sunshine will depart Charleston Tuesday at 6 p.m. Its call to Half Moon Cay has been canceled. If you are unable to use I26, please consider taking Hwy 61 or Hwy 17. They strongly advise guests to use Waze traffic app to stay current on road conditions in real time. The Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring Hurricane Dorian’s potential impact on the departures listed below. Given that storms can be so uncertain, this information reflects our plan for these sailings based on the current forecast.
- Carnival Victory (from Miami) - Will now operate as a 2-day sailing departing Wednesday and returning Friday. Port of call: Key West on Thursday. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare and any pre-purchased beverage and Wi-Fi packages. Guests who wish to cancel will receive a 100% future cruise credit.
- Charleston Allergy & Asthma - Will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Charleston Animal Society - Closed until further notice.
- Charleston Carriage Works - Will be closed for tours until further notice beginning Monday. On Monday morning, staff will begin the process of evacuating their animals off the peninsula into safer quarters.
- Charleston Center for Periodontics & Implant Dentistry - Will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Charleston-Dorchester mental health center- Closed through Sept. 5. "We ask that people experiencing a mental health crisis please dial 911 for help during this time. We will have more information about when our clinics will reopen on our website atwww.charlestondorchestermhc.org.
- Charleston Endoscopy Center - Will be closed until further notice.
- Charleston GI Specialists - Will be closed until further notice.
- Charleston VA - The Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center has cancelled all outpatient clinics and appointments at the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston, and at its outpatient clinics in Goose Creek, Beaufort, Myrtle Beach, and Savannah, Hinesville, Georgia, and the Trident Annex beginning Tuesday and continuing through Saturday. all outpatient procedures scheduled at the VA medical center are canceled Wednesday through Friday. Patients who have procedures on Tuesday will be contacted regarding their scheduled time. The VA Medical Center’s inpatient care units and Emergency Department are open and operational. The VA hospital and clinics in South Carolina and Georgia are scheduled to re-open on Sept. 9. Patients with appointments Sept. 3 - 7 at the Charleston VA Medical Center and its clinics in South Carolina and Georgia will be contacted to reschedule. Should additional patient appointments be canceled moving forward, patients will be notified by the clinics. All VA employees should be in contact with their supervisor, review facility and service line Severe Weather Emergency Preparedness plans and make plans to ensure the safety of their families.
- Charleston Water System - now closed and will remain closed through the conclusion of the storm threat
- Elms Digestive & Elms Endoscopy Center in North Charleston - Closed until further notice.
- The Fruit of the Loom Distribution Center in Summerville - Will be closed Wednesday.
- Gibbes Museum of Art - Closed until further notice.
- Graceful Embrace Developmental Day Program - Will be closed Tuesday through Thursday.
- The City Market - Closed Monday and will remain closed until the evacuation order is lifted.
- Lowcountry Food Bank (Charleston and Yemassee locations) - Closed Wednesday and Thursday. “If you’re in need of emergency food assistance, dial 211,” officials said.
- Mignano Family Chiropractic is closed Wednesday, Thursday, and possibly Friday.
- MUSC Dental Clinics - Closed until further notice.
- MUSC Health Clinics - Closed Wednesday. MUSC Health is offering virtual care (online visits) at no charge to all South Carolina residents, as we prepare for Hurricane Dorian, as well as during and after the storm. Using the promo code MUSCDORIAN will waive the regular $25 fee for the visit.
- North Charleston Housing Authority - Closed Tuesday until further notice
- Northwoods Mall - Closed Monday until further notice.
- Old South Carriage Company - Will be closed for tours until further notice beginning Monday. On Monday morning, staff will begin the process of evacuating their animals off the peninsula into safer quarters.
- Palmetto Carriage Works - Will be closed for tours until further notice beginning Monday. On Monday morning, staff will begin the process of evacuating their animals off the peninsula into safer quarters.
- Patriots Point - Closed Tuesday until further notice
- Publix stores in the Lowcountry closing at 12 p.m. and hope to reopen Friday
- Private Therapy Services - Both West Ashley and Mt. Pleasant locations for the entire week
- Santee Cooper - The Santee Cooper Board of Directors meeting scheduled for Tuesday has been postponed.
- The SC Works Trident Centers will be closed until further notice due to Hurricane Dorian.
- Seacoast Church- Offices and events canceled at the following locations: Conway, James Island, Johns Island, McClellanville, Mount Pleasant, North Charleston, Summerville, and West Ashley.Seacoast Church anticipates resuming normal service times this weekend at all impacted campuses
- Summerville Endoscopy Center - Will be closed until further notice.
- Trident Literacy Association - all sites closed until further notice
- Beaufort Jasper Water & Sewer Authority - Businesses offices are closed through Friday.
- CARTA - Charleston Area Regional Transportation service will be monitored beginning Monday morning.
- Charles Pinckney National Historic Site - Closed until further notice.
- Charleston County Parks - Closed Monday and until Hurricane Dorian has passed
- Fort Moultrie on Sullivan’s Island - Closes Monday at 5 p.m. until further notice.
- Fort Sumter - Ferry trips to Ft. Sumter have been canceled until further notice.
- Liberty Square Visitor Center - Closes Monday at 5 p.m. until further notice.
- Lowcountry Regional EMS Council Administrative Offices - Will remain closed until further notice. All EMS classes and clinical rotations are canceled effective Monday until further notice.
- National Park Service Sites - Staff will evaluate weather and safety conditions of the parks, including the Charles Pinckney National Historic Site, Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter and the Liberty Square Visitor Center after the threat of the storm has passed. Staff will also determine when ferry service to Fort Sumter will resume.
- Post office locationsacross the Lowcountryclosed until further notice
- South Carolina Government offices - State government offices in Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester, Beaufort, Colleton, Georgetown, Horry and Jasper Counties will be closed beginning Tuesday until further notice.
- TriCounty Link - TriCounty Link, the Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester region’s rural public transit agency, will suspend operations beginning Monday.
- Williamsburg County Government offices - Will be closed except for essential personnel, starting Wednesday at noon. They will remain closed Thursday.
Check back for updates to this list.
Copyright 2019 WCSC. All rights reserved.