SC reports more than 4,000 new COVID-19 cases, percent-positive above 30%

ByLive 5 Web Staff|January 6, 2021 at 1:34 PM EST - Updated January 6 at 1:45 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WCSC) - The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control reported 4,037 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday along with 101 new probable cases.

DHEC reported 71 new confirmed deaths, nearing a record for the highest single-day death total reported since the pandemic began. The results also listed 13 probable deaths.

This brings the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Carolina since the start of the pandemic to 306,204 and deaths to 5,139, according to data from the agency.

Wednesday’s report included data from 13,052 test results with a percent positive of 30.9%

DHEC data shows the state has an 88.9% recovery rate. That figure is based on symptom onset information of 178,035 people for whom the agency has data. DHEC estimates that 88.9% of those patients have recovered while the remaining 11.1% remain ill.

Copyright 2020 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Photo by Getty Images